Imagine making Mai Tai or a Pina Colada with nothing but two glasses and a spoon. Will you get the right taste or even the right texture? Most probably not. If you are the kind of person who enjoys every sip of the drink, you need to have the right drink in your hands. Either you are hosting a game night or a housewarming party, showing off your bar tending skills is not right without the perfect cocktail shaker set.
That is not all; perfection means that you get the right set for the right type of occasion. Keeping this in mind, we have curated a list of cocktail shaker sets for every kind of user. From professionals to beginners and modern shakers, we have listed them all.
Find out which suits you the best!
Only a professional bartender knows the value of the right set of tools to make the perfect mojito. Truly if you are a professional and want to serve someone who relates to the one and only James Bond, you need to own a professional cocktail shaker set like this beauty. It has two shakers of different capacities and a measuring cup to ensure that you get everything right.
Cocktail Shaker Maintenance and Cleaning Tips
- Muddle the mixture: If you need to add fruits to the cocktail. Plus, mojitos and mint juleps also require muddling before they can be prepared. Always muddle right in the cocktail shaker; it will ensure that the ingredients mix well and equally.
- Separate the Parts Immediately: A Boston shaker has only two parts and no lid. Both the shakers are joined to shake and mix the cocktail. However, while making a cocktail, you need to add several ingredients along with ice, which makes the tin Boston shakers too cold to handle for beginners. But, you must not wait to separate the two parts immediately after mixing. If not done immediately, both the parts will get stuck, and this reduces the lifespan.
- Clean Frequently: To ensure longer life of the cocktail shaker set, clean as you go. This may be one of the most heard of maintenance tips a bartender has ever heard, but you need to follow it like a bible. Not only the shakers but make a habit of cleaning every part of the set and the shelves. Because when you are hosting a party, you will find yourself surrounded by several bottles and things will turn messy before you can realize.
- No Overnight Treats: Never leave anything sweet behind the bar overnight. This is the thumb rule of maintaining a bar and everything related to it, including your cocktail shaker set. Plus, the areas which have seen the most residue and splatters, disinfect them. Trust us, you will not like to come back to the bar to a swarm of flies and critters in the morning.
- Shake Parallelly: One last thing before we move on to identifying the factors that will help you make the right choice while buying a cocktail shaker set. Shake the cocktail parallel to the bar and not in a perpendicular direction. Yes, there is a reason behind it. Parallel shaking will protect from getting embarrassed as even if you spill the cocktail, it will land on the shelf, on the floor behind the bar, or on your coworkers. But it won’t drop on the customers or your guests.
What to Consider while buying Cocktail Shaker Sets?
Well, the real bummer is that there is no one-size-fits-all approach here. The right choice of cocktail shaker sets depends on your usability, experience, purpose, ease of use, material preference, and capacity.
- Experience and Expertise: Beginners will find using cobbler shakers better as they do not require an advanced skill set. But, if you are a professional or working in a bar, go for the Boston shakers. These require advanced knowledge about using the parts. The third type of shaker, French shakers, are also being used in some places by professionals.
- Purpose: For your home, a cobbler shaker is the best choice. The reason being that they are easy to use, clean, maintain. Plus, it mixes very well. Boston shakers will prove to be a great asset for professionals and commercial bars because of their versatility and ability to mix larger volumes of cocktails.
- Material: Newbies best stick to the tin or copper shakers. As a beginner, you are susceptible to making mistakes, even if you don’t intend to do so. But dropping a tin shaker instead of a glass one is better and cost-saving.
Lastly, if you want a cocktail shaker set for your home bar and also want it to be aesthetically pleasing, you can get one with a better design. However, it will need more maintenance and care taking.
Buying a cocktail shaker set for your home bar or a professional bar should not be too difficult if you have your priorities right. That is why we have listed one shaker set from every popular category to help you source the perfect cocktail shaker set.
The Boston Cocktail Shakers with two pieces set has a configuration of 800 ml or 28 oz for the bigger shaker. While the smaller shaker has a capacity of 450 ml or 16 oz.
There are five main categories of glasses used to serve cocktails. These are Tall, Short, Stemmed, Shot, and Plastic. Tall glasses are used to pour drinks like Bloody Mary, Tom Collins, or Gin, whereas the Short ones are best for Margarita on the rocks. Use the Stemmed glasses to serve Manhattans or Martinis and the Shot glasses for Spirits. Plastic glasses are best suited for outdoor use.
To fix a stuck metal-based cobbler shaker, press the top one with your thumbs from one side. The metal will bend, releasing the shakers. To fix a stuck cobbler shaker’s lid, pour some hot water on the surface and then try to release it. The second method is to insert sticks from the bottom side of the strainer holes and gently push them against a hard surface, which will push the lid upwards.
There are many special tricks and techniques to make a cocktail, but they are mostly for show and tell. Whereas the core benefit of these shaking exercises is similar. However, a unique way to shake is to move the shakers in a horizontal manner parallel to the bar shelf. This means that you need to shake side by side.
There are many cocktails to try, but some are easy, famous, and taste very good. These are Negroni, Gin and Tonic, Martini, Manhattan, Daiquiri, Dark n Stormy, and Sidecar.